Chipping

J. R. White jrwhiteltd@msn.com
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:52:37 -0700

Vacuum cleaners and machine tools, yes.  Let=92 not forget running =
water, too.

J R W

=20

  _____ =20

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of alan forsyth
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 7:20 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Chipping

=20

I had six bloody months of it at college; the main purpose was I think =
for
"industrial training".=20

Chipping also of necessity meant that you had to be able to tune and
recognize semitones.

Also, the chipping process seems to train your ears to filter out =
extraneous
noises, by virtue=20

of the action and dampers being removed, which has been of great benefit =
in
the real world;

I can tune in noisy situations, except where there is a vacuum cleaner =
of
course!

=20

"PTA do not require a chipping test...."

=20

I wonder though if they require that a muting strip is not used in =
tuning
the temperament?

One thing that puts me off the PTA is why should I take a test when I =
have
qualified after 3 years=20

full-time at a college? And there is also the requirement that no ETD's =
are
allowed even though=20

it was a compulsory part of the course at college; in this day and age,
that's like writing a letter=20

with pen and paper instead of using e-mail.

=20

AF

----- Original Message -----=20