Chipping

alan forsyth alan@forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 03:20:16 +0100

with pen and paper instead of using e-mail.

AF
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Byeway222@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 1:46 AM
  Subject: Chipping

   =20
  'Chipping-up' has always been the bedrock of tuning training on the =
full-time courses here in UK.  The first series of  tests was the =
completion of a pitch raise in decreasing time scales. I really can't =
remember what the ultimate goal was, but it was probably something like =
20minutes to raise the pitch a resonable amount using just a plectrum on =
a strung back.
  The guys who really perfected the technique were those who worked in =
piano factories and went through a phenomenal number of newly strung =
backs in a day.   It was a very depressing sight to see a guy, often =
blind, sitting in often a smallish room with scores of strung backs =
stacked like library books beavering away non-stop.    I would have =
thought that this has been the practice in USA in the past, before =
automated stringing in factories.
  However, there has always been a certain amount of controversy as to =
its real value to  'on the road'  tuners.   My own experience, and that =
of many tuners, is not having pefected a consistant and useful =
commercial speed using this technique.  You have to be doing a lot of it =
for it to be time saving.  I think most of us perfect our own way of =
action-in pitch raising.

  One of the initial values of 'chipping-up' in the college training =
system, however, is to quickly familiarise the new student with the =
geography of the strung back and to encourage a fast and confident =
initial approach to the whole business of tuning.  It is acknowleged =
that this is an initial 'rough tuning'  and there is no point in hanging =
about and getting neurotic about it being perfect.  Just get on with it. =
 Accuracy will develop with technique and experience. It really is an =
effective way of negating the over-cautious aspects in the personality =
of many beginner students.  I wish I had appreciated this more when I =
did my own training.

  The previous post is right in saying that the PTA do not require a =
chipping test, and their standard test appears to be OK.  My own =
experience of the PTA has been a mixed one, and although i have never =
been a member, I did attend some pretty good 3 day conventions in the =
1980's.  I would doubt though, that even now, their conventions have =
such a broad based character as the US ones.

  Ric