Mona Lisa effect

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:56:17 +0200

Look at it this way David.... put your self in the shoes of the HGIC of
Steinway.  What are you going to do ?  You have the biggest hit in the
piano industry of all time... and millions of dollars riding on any
decision you make, thousands of jobs, everything you ever worked for.
You also probably actually believe in your own product... and hopefully
actually like it.  I personally dont have any difficulty understanding
their choices.  I dont really see it matters a hoot either.  They make
what they make, others make what they make... and we are all in the
opinions pool together trying to decide for ourselves (and some of us
for others as well) what we like the most.  We fool ourselves into
thinking its about whats <<best>>, but its as much a popularity contest
as it is anything else.  You cant blame any particular manufacturer for
playing by rules written by others.  The game is what it is.

Cheers
RicB

____________________

David Porritt wrote:

I've been asked this question "Is it still a Steinway" and as I said
before, I can only admit I don't understand the question.  I've been
thinking today that there might be the Mona Lisa effect here.  You can
like the Mona Lisa or not, your choice.  However as the most widely
recognized work of art ANY change to it would be considered defacing it.
Is this what these people are asking?  Do they think that Steinway makes
3,000 Mona Lisas a year and that any change is defacing?  Steinway
promotes this idea with their ads ("If it doesn't have 12,011 genuine
Steinway parts it isn't a Steinway").  Is this what they are thinking?