The Nossaman Steinway (was rebuilders..)

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:49:49 +0200

Dave Porritt wrote:

So far everyone has loved it.  What's not to love?  As to the people who
ask if it is still a Steinway I confess to them that I really don't
understand the question.  It is still a piano.  It was originally built
by Steinway and it has now been redesigned as a better piano.  I just
don't know what they mean by the question.  If my Ford has been modified
with a racing engine is it still a Ford?  I don't know what that means.
--------------------

Hi David

I never could understand the difficulty with this. If you ask one of
those guys what rebuilds cars into racing vehichles their answer is in
essence always the same. It will be a modified <<whatever>> with <<this,
that, and the other special modifications made by the rebuilder>>.  The
message comes through in clear channel that the car is their baby. And
they are always damned proud of saying so.

So should it be with pianos.  This one is a Nossaman design. Its a
Nossaman rebuild with a Farrel panel in a Steinway case.  The plate has
been modified, the scale has been modified, the duplex lengths, the
entire concept of soundboard design is changed... really not much left
of the Stein-way left by all descriptions. Even the action has undergone
some modifications.. (actually was a bit suprised to hear an Overs
action wasnt fitted to the thing)

In cars, its customary to leave the origional logo in place, and then
plaster the sides and top surfaces with the names of sponsers and
manufactures of the major parts used in modifications, and somewhere the
name of the guy behind the project.  A more discrete approach is
required for pianos of course... but a Nossaman logo on the plate and
perhaps on the fall board as well.

As for whether its a better piano or not... now there is a question that
*_I_ *dont understand. :)... but then you know that.

Cheers
RicB