Chinese

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 02 Oct 2005 15:18:40 -0700

I have some comments about a Pearl River piano I tuned today. It's a
brand new UP120S (48" studio upright), just out of the box, and after a
tuning, I was very impressed with the tone - a lot of piano for the
money. I was equally pleased with the regulation and the quality of
parts and construction. The keys and everything inside were picture
perfect. I only had to increase the let off to compensate for our
coastal climate.

On the downside, I had trouble tuning the treble section (it went out of
tune after the first pass) and I had to struggle with it a second time
to get a stable tuning. I thought that there was a little too much
friction in the tuning pin segment - above the pressure bar I noticed a
second bearing mound covered with felt - and I'm concerned that it could
get worse if the strings become rusty.

But other than having reservations about the triple bearing, I would
have no qualms about recommending a UP120S or any of the larger Pearl
River uprights.

Greetings to Mark Wisner and Baoli Liu
Tom Cole