Back length tuning

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:00:35 -0800

We are talking about the treble section only, presumably.  Tuning the front
(tuning pin side) duplex is detrimental because it encourages sympathetic
vibrations of the duplex which can contribute to leakage and loss of both
power and sustain, not to mention an increase in noise.  The issue with the
backscale tuning is whether or not it actually contributes at all.  It's
been discussed at length previously on the list with no real consensus.
Some think it helps some don't.  I don't find it makes any real difference
tuned or not.  However, when designing a backscale you might have to make
the choice of length versus tuning.  Maximizing backscale length in that
section probably precludes having it tuned in the Steinway style where the
length of the backscale is relatively short.  Having a backscale of too
short a length does force you into making other choices about bearing that
may very well have and effect on sustain, especially.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ric Brekne
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:44 PM
To: caut@ptg.org; pianotech
Subject: Back length tuning

Hi folks

I would really appreciate hearing a bit about varying methods of
<<tuning>> the back scale of instruments.  Anyone with knowledge of
Duplex Dans methods, other  approaches, basic tuning methods that
perhaps address the back scale in anyway would be very nice to hear from.

My basic understanding at present leads me to believe that the front
duplex can be tuned to the detriment or enhancement of both sustain and
tonal qualities if tuned slightly out of tune with the speaking lengths
and that this applies to a much lesser degree to backlengths.

 Any discussion, info, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RicB