Definition of Voicing

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:30:39 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0015_01C5F430.B42BE3F0
Voicing means simply regulating the tone of the piano.  Specific goals =
about
brightness, power, sustain, balance, or charm, will vary so much from =
player
to player and technician to technician that a comprehensive definition
becomes quite problematic. =20

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of antares
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 2:54 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Definition of Voicing

=20

On 28-nov-2005, at 22:35, St=E9phane Collin wrote:

Hello Alan.

=20

Nice thread for sure.

My own definition, though, would replace the ideas of optimal power and
sustain and even tone from note to note by the more complex idea of =
charm,
which may or may not include or exclude all or part of the former and =
other
things.

=20

Best regards.

=20

St=E9phane Collin.

=20

=20

I'm looking to develop a short but comprehensive definition of piano
voicing. So far, I've got:

"Voicing is setting the overall brightness of the piano and evening out =
the
tone from note to note, while optimizing power and sustain. "

=20

Ideas appreciated, please.

=20

Alan Barnard

Salem, Missouri

=20

=20

Hi St=E9phane and list,

=20

When I think about voicing, the word tells me what it is : give the =
hammers
a voice

In German it is called "intonieren" and in Dutch it is "Intoneren" which
sort of means "working with tone, sound".

=20

To give a piano a voice is one.

What kind of voice another issue.

=20