Definition of Voicing

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:53:46 +0100

On 28-nov-2005, at 22:35, St=C3=A9phane Collin wrote:

> Hello Alan.
>
> Nice thread for sure.
> My own definition, though, would replace the ideas of optimal power =20=

> and sustain and even tone from note to note by the more complex =20
> idea of charm, which may or may not include or exclude all or part =20
> of the former and other things.
>
> Best regards.
>
> St=C3=A9phane Collin.
>

> I'm looking to develop a short but comprehensive definition of =20
> piano voicing. So far, I've got:
> "Voicing is setting the overall brightness of the piano and evening =20=

> out the tone from note to note, while optimizing power and sustain. "
>
> Ideas appreciated, please.
>
> Alan Barnard
> Salem, Missouri

Hi St=C3=A9phane and list,

When I think about voicing, the word tells me what it is : give the =20
hammers a voice
In German it is called "intonieren" and in Dutch it is "Intoneren" =20
which sort of means "working with tone, sound".

To give a piano a voice is one.
What kind of voice another issue.

EAR

friendly greetings