no key for fallboard clamp

bill peterson wpeterson2@socal.rr.com
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:16:19 -0800

Have your kids and their friends pick it for you.  Some kids have =
amazing skill and inventiveness at picking locks.

Bill Peterson Locksmith
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Nichols=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 8:42 PM
  Subject: Re: no key for fallboard clamp

  At 07:23 PM 11/27/2005 -0700, you wrote:

    Dear List, =20
        I acquired a grand recently that had a HANDS OFF FALLBOARD CLAMP =
on it.  The seller provided me with a key that she knew was the right =
key, it wasn`t and I have no key.  I can break the thing off, but I`d =
like to resell it if possible.  Any secret to getting this off without =
breaking it and w/o a key?
    thanks,
    Tom
    Berthoud, CO

  The key should be like a small Master Lock key, and don't be so sure =
you received the wrong one. Many of those locks require a little =
finesse, in the form of inserting the key, and then pulling it out very =
slightly before turning. Otherwise, it may act as if it doesn't work at =
all. A locksmith could probably pick it and make you a key if that =
doesn't work. Cheaper than replacement.

  Good luck,
  Guy