Humidity & voicing

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:15:37

Hi Marcel,

It's always possible to control humidity. What may be lacking are the funds
to accomplish this. I believe that at least one technician is now using a
"battery backup" to power DC systems when they are "unplugged".

As for cover the Edward's string covers do a fine job--and can be left in
place much longer than a traditional cover--and can be folded part way back
during the tuning process.

At 11:58 AM 11/27/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks to all that have answered. I know it is ideal to control
>humidity, but... It's not always possible. What I've noticed is that
>hammer that were treated with laquer or other hardeners won't change as
>much. And the dampp chaser does not affect the hammers as much as I
>would like unless the piano is covered with a full length cover "MOST OF
>THE TIME".
>
>I guess since this is no perfect world, one has to deal with it. I like
>Horace's idea of drying the hammers before a performance in case of
>emergency.
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Marcel Carey

Regards,