Tone Production by the Pianist

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:07:19 -0800

At 08:24 AM 11/25/2005, you wrote:

>John Dorr asked: "
>In your experience and philosophy can different pianists create different
>tones on the same piano, at the same volume (velocity of the hammer striking
>the strings) with different touch techniques?

John,

This is an interesting topic to me, as I have experienced this effect
very decisively under different circumstances.  When I was in college
studying music I used to feel that tone could not be changed by how
one played, but over time I have come to the opposite conclusion.

The first effective demonstration was at a piano competition, on
piano selection day.  All of the piano technicians nervously sit in
the audience while the competitors move from piano to piano and
decide in the space of 20 - 30 minutes which piano to use.  So in a
short time I could hear multiple pianists play the same 5 pianos, and
wow do the pianos sound different with different pianists!  The
effect is not at all subtle - a particular piano can sound horrible
with one player, then the next player will make it sound wonderful.

Some of this is not simply how each key is pressed.  How the pedal is
used, how the notes are connected for legato play, and how chords are
voiced all make a tremendous difference in the tone, and are all
simple to explain.  There are more differences in the overall tone
quality, though, that comes from the playing of the key itself.  One
pianist can make a very fine piano sound thin and harsh and short
toned, while the next can make it sound warm and lush and singing.

Another demonstration was done at the Kawai laboratory which was more
scientific.  A concert grand was set up in the anechoic chamber with
a mechanical playing device.  The piano was digitally recorded at a
variety of volume level with a machine playing the key.  The machine
produced a very hard, unyielding blow on the key, from soft to loud.

Next a pianist sat at the same piano in the same room, and played the
same note at varying loudness levels.  This was also recorded.

The resulting recorded notes were then matched up for precise volume
levels and compared.  The two different tones sounded like different
pianos, and their spectrum display (actually a "waterfall" style
display showing the sound across a range of frequencies and over time
to show the decay) was clearly different.

When tuning you will find this happening, especially in the mid to
upper treble.  When measuring a piano using Cybertuner, for instance,
it is sometimes possible to find a particular style of key playing
that produces a clearer tone with better sustain.  I can't describe
how the keystroke is done, exactly, but it is firm without being
hard.  And it changes with different pianos.

The best explanation I have for why there are differences comes from
seeing how hammer shanks flex and hammer heads vibrate on the way up
to the string in slow motion films (those of you who have seen my
Kawai action seminar know what I'm talking about).  Given that a
particular hammer velocity should produce a given volume level from
the piano, how the hammer is accelerated to that velocity
will  affect the shank flex and hammer head vibration, and therefore
the tone will be different.  A pliable touch will accelerate the
hammer slowly at first, reaching the target velocity just at
letoff.  A hard and unyielding touch will accelerate the hammer more
suddenly, causing more shank flex and more head vibration, which will
affect the tone because of the way the hammer head is moving as it
hits the string.

Another side of the tone picture is the contribution of various other
noises in the action to the tone.  The thump of the key at the bottom
definitely contributes to the tone quality, for instance.  The
vibration of the hammer head after impact produces a definite knock
that we perceive as part of the piano tone (and this is affected by
the shank stiffness near the hammer head along with the glue collar
size, as well as hammer rail design, etc.).  A pianist who plays hard
but not deep will create different noise in a particular action, so
the tone will be perceived as different.

Action centers have a great affect on tone - and when considering the
hammer head movement towards the string, one can understand why.  But
more than simply loose or tight, the hardness of the bushing and the
flex of the hammer flange at the birds-eye affect how controlled the
hammer is and any side-to-side vibration of the head.

So, piano tone production is horribly complex in it's makeup, and one
can get lost trying to take into account everything that goes into
it.  All of these factors do contribute very strongly to not only the
type of tone produced by each pianist, but also how each pianist can
have a particular style of action (including centers, keys, key
punchings, shank stiffness, hammer weight and hardness, etc. etc.
etc.) that will work best for their style of play.  Piano teachers
tend to become especially sensitive to this, as they hear many
different students on the same piano making different tone.  They may
not be able to defend the idea conceptually, but they will relate it
experientially with great conviction!

I think I sense a new PTG seminar in the works here.  I'll give this
more thought . . .

Don Mannino RPT