Soundboard Crown measurement and evaluation

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:29:57 EST

By the way this doesn't work because of  soundboard thinning. The board is
thicker in the middle, thinner at the edges.  Terry Farrel had it ALL right.
  This method will show positive crown even when there is  none. Follow me?
   Dale  Erwin

Here's  the method I read about:  You take a straight edge as long as the
back
of the piano (I'm assuming they meant an upright), attach to EXACTLY 7"
blocks
at a right angle to each end, then measure from the bottom of the  straight
edge to the  soundboard at the mid point.  Subtract the  middle measurement
from 7" and that's the amount of  crown.