Soundboard Crown measurement and evaluation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:31:30 -0500

I wrote:
If the panel has an "S"-shaped cross section, it is likely toast. That =
piano=20
will likely have bearing on one side of the bridge and negative bearing =
on=20
the other - or something approaching that.

Dale Erwin responded:
I once bought A Steinway Long A that had great crown in the bottom end & =
reverse crown in the top. Never seen that since.

And now I am responding:
I've got a 1900 Bechstein A1 grand in my shop right now that will get a =
new belly someday. I has a very impressive "S" cross sectioned =
soundboard. I don't know that I have ever heard a piano with thinner =
tone either! I think each string touches the bridge at only one point =
(adjacent to its rear bridge pin).

Terry Farrell

P.S. Gotta go fire up that turkey fryer - hmmmm, mmmmm, good!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Anyone catch that little report on CNN about turkey frying and =
burned-down apartments and homes, etc.? Yikes!