Soundboard Crown measurement and evaluation

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:32:48 EST

Terry
    Hi. you covered this one really well  & thoroughly.

Some pianos were designed to have negative  crown.

If the panel has an "S"-shaped cross section, it is likely  toast. That piano
will likely have bearing on one side of the bridge and  negative bearing on
the other - or something approaching that.
  I once bought A Steinway Long A that had  great crown in the bottom end &
reverse crown in the top. Never seen that  since

But many other combinations of these conditions are  not necessarily bad. I
have a Boston GP-178 that has a soundboard panel that  is as flat as a
pancake - no crown (at least in the top half of the string  scale), but it
has nice even moderate downbearing throughout, and the tone  is as great or
better than any Japanese piano I have ever heard. Because it  has good
bearing, you know that if you unstrung the piano, the soundboard  would bend
up and you could then observe crown.
  & even if it doesn't ,so what it sounded  great. I've had many pianos that
had marvelous sustain & power with flat  boards. Which means that the
mechanical impedance inherent in the design was  adequate to create the sound by it
mass & stiffness.  MY Sisters Mason  AA is like that . Awesome sound & no crown.
The Caveat is that it had nicely  set bearing>  HMM wonder why? Grin

I will  often look closely at crown and downbearing, etc. when diagnosing a
belly  problem, I also work very closely with all that when setting up a new
piano  belly.
  Amen
  This is where many miss the boat. Failing to provide  adequate bearing for
your new belly system is like having a Porsche with no gas  in the tank. amhik

However, I have found that when inspecting an  low value piano for someone -
like for a prepurchase inspection on a 1948  Gulbranson spinet, or somesuch -
there is usually no reason to even look at  the soundboard crown and/or
downbearing. Who cares? What difference does it  make? If the piano sounds
good (or as good as can be expected), the piano  sounds good, and that is
good enough. If the piano has a bad killer octave,  who cares what is causing
it - the piano sounds bad. A detailed analysis of  belly components often
won't get you much in return - I usually just check  that the parts are there
and are not falling off or cracked in half in a  situation like that.
  Right on & Happy Thanksgiving
  We have much to thank God for.
   Dale Erwin