buzzing Kimball

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:08:20 -0500

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Yesterday I serviced a 70s era Kimball console with an annoying buzzy
overtone at C4/D4. Sounded like a soundboard buzz. It had a laminated
board with ribs that weren't notched into the rim.

Pulled the piano out and vacuumed out the dust. Applied enough CA glue
at the top of the ribs for it to run all the way down. Sure enough, I
saw two ribs where the CA glue ran all the way through- evidence of
separation. I sprayed accelerator and applied more CA. I noticed my head
spinning and decided to also open the window. ;-)  I also applied CA
around the rim where it was easily accessible, the bass bridge, bass
apron and treble bridge for good measure.

Still had a buzz. Sprayed accelerator around the rim, including the top.
I filled my CA bottle all the way full so I could squirt glue out
holding it straight up and then glued the rim, including just blindly
squirting some glue at the top. I know the capillary action of the glue
will pull it vertically into such a glue joint.

Problem solved. The whole job took less than a 2 oz bottle and 30
minutes. In my early days of tech-ing I would have just condemned such a
piano. But in the late 80s Don Mannino (I think) sent me some Satellite
City glue to fix a buzzing Young Chang with a soundboard/rim separation.
I just followed his directions, skeptical the whole way. I used way more
glue than needed because I flat didn't believe it would work. It was a
miracle. 20 years and hundreds of soundboards later it still is.

I guess I'm thankful for CA glue. :-) It let's me solve problems and
save pianos that were previously throw aways.

I'm also thankful for all of you who share your knowledge and skills so
generously. God Bless!

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272