Breaking Strings

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:51:34 -0800

On Nov 23, 2005, at 8:57 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:

> Mike,
>
> My mentor had this situation once for a Baptist church. The pianist
> was pounding the heck out of the piano as well as having the sustain
> pedal down most of the time. He had to explain to the pianist that he
> would continue to break strings if he kept playing that way. Once the
> pianist stopped pounding so hard and using less of the sustain pedal,
> the breaking of strings was slowed down and almost stopped (The
> pianist would go back to his old ways occasionally)
>
> Duaine

`I agree.  This is a fairly common situation, unfortunately.  When
playing in a combo with other instruments, the pianists often can't
hear themselves.  As a result, they resort to pounding the keys while
using a lot of sustain pedal.  The solution to the resulting string
breakage is not softer hammers, rounder v-bars, etc.  The solution is a
monitor for the pianist, turned up loud so the player can back off on
the intensity from fff to f.  The pianist cannot judge the sound the
audience hears - as long as his/her monitor is turned up, the playing
level should decrease into a normal range which does not
over-stimulate string amplitude and cause premature material fatigue
and string breakage.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...