Yamaha Keytops and Bushings

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:25:42 -0500

I removed the key bushings the other day - no sweat - soaked 'em for a =
few hours and with a little gentle persuasion, they came out very easily =
and cleanly. Definitely not hide glue used originally, but not messy =
white glue either. Last night I used a heat gun and not-very-sharp =
chisel to removed my first keytop - worked excellent - peeled right up =
and left the wooden keytop in perfect shape.

I've only got about a half-dozen keys that were damaged - I'm quite sure =
repairing them will be less expensive that a new set of keys.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

   Terry
     How about a new set of keys from Yamaha.  Probably cheaper.
    Dale
    I am tasked with replacing several keytops and bushing sets on =
several Yamaha C3 grands. These pianos are less than 10 years old.

    Anyone know what kind of glue did Yamaha use for the key bushings? =
Some kind of white crud?

    Anyone have any experience with removing a Yamaha keytop - some =
method that best preserves the wooden key itself. I presume I can steam =
them off, but it is likely that some will have to be done on-site =
(cruise ship) and steaming will not be an attractive option. Is there =
some magic way to pry and just "pop" them off?

    Thanks.

    Terry Farrell