Wounded piano

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:47:15 -0700

At 11:54 AM 11/22/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello list,
>

>I was looking at one of our university s Baldwin s as a candidate for
>restringing, and discovered the structural damage pictured in the
>attachment.  Any ideas on how this could have happened?

Gremlins, moving stress, any number of things that don't matter. (it's in
the past!)

>Any suggestions for repair (I don t want to replace the sound-board)?

Yeah, that part of the board is cosmetic anyway. Your biggest issue may be
sostenueto adjustment. Take off the lid, clamp a two-by-four down to the
top of the board, end-wise along side the rim as close as you can get, and
see if the assembly will drop that  4 or 5 mm it seems that is lifted. If
so, let it up and squeeze some epoxy in there. and re-clamp. Or not, you
know. If it is "solid", and not buzzing, the sos reg can be dealt with.

>It doesn t seem to have affected the sound of the piano negatively.  The
>piano has got a big sound with good sustain, but it s been around the
>block a few times.  It s a Model SF made in 1920.

Or '56, as you corrected. One of my faves.

>Jeremy

Good luck,
Guy Nichols, RPT