Reducing weight was RE: older kawai whippen assist springs

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:30:41 -0500

Don't forget to lubricate the wippen heels with Prolube. The difference =
in touch is worth the weight in gold!=20
Tom Servinsky
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: deanmay@pianorebuilders.com, Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:08 PM
  Subject: Reducing weight was RE: older kawai whippen assist springs

  I have a customer with a Baldwin console who has MS and I really need =
to lighten the action for her if possible.=20

  After minimizing friction, adjusting the dampers so they lift a little =
later in the cycle, what else can make a difference?

  Can you/should you shave and cove hammers like you can in a grand?

  Weaken the return springs a little?

  Add lead?

  Any ideas on what's worth doing here?

  Alan Barnard