Feedback appreciated

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:53:08 -0800

> I'm sure you've felt that way at times.  When you tune a piano that you've
> zen'd in the past, yet today it's just tuned, do you ever wish you'd been able
> to record the extraordinary tuning so you could duplicate it on those days
> when you ate too much pizza for lunch or whatever?  Have you ever considered
> an ETD to record the extraordinary tunings?
Oh yeah. Often wished that I could just see why, if the ETD could show me,
THIS particular tuning sounded so soaring and resonant. Now one of the
pianotechs that works for me occasionally (Michael Campi) has a Verituner,
and follows up on me from time to time---he says things line up, especially
in the ends of the piano, in a precise way he hasn't seen before---that the
stretch is always very, very precise from note to note.  I haven't really
gotten into it, more than casually, but it's a fascinating thing to look
forward to, when the time allows.

> Virgil was instrumental in my getting in this business though I'm sure he was
> unaware of it.  He used to tell me then that if I ever left there I wouldn't
> get pianos tuned like he did them!

>At the time it seemed to me a statement of
> arrogance.  However, after I did leave there I didn't find pianos tuned like
> he tuned them!
And therein lies the crux---what makes those beautiful, rare tunings? IMHO,
letting your body and your ears do what they do best; your body knows how to
create beauty.
>Twelve years later I realized his statement was not arrogance
> but rather a confidently truthful statement.
Wow...a big perception shift.

>I set my goal then to do the
> kind of work Virgil did.  I won't claim to have achieved that goal, but at
> least I aimed high.
Aimed high then and now, I'll bet.

What a great post.  Thanks, DP, for the verification and the memories.

David Andersen