Feedback appreciated

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:04:14 -0600

David:
=20
My first job after graduating from college was as staff musician at a =
radio station in Chicago.  Virgil Smith tuned our two studio "L"s every =
Friday.  Often he'd tune them and leave but on occasion when he was =
finished he'd come get me to show that they were really good.  To me, a =
non-technician at that time, they always sounded good.  Yet, at certain =
times he felt that he had zen'd them. =20
=20
I'm sure you've felt that way at times.  When you tune a piano that =
you've zen'd in the past, yet today it's just tuned, do you ever wish =
you'd been able to record the extraordinary tuning so you could =
duplicate it on those days when you ate too much pizza for lunch or =
whatever?  Have you ever considered an ETD to record the extraordinary =
tunings? =20
=20
Virgil was instrumental in my getting in this business though I'm sure =
he was unaware of it.  He used to tell me then that if I ever left there =
I wouldn't get pianos tuned like he did them!  At the time it seemed to =
me a statement of arrogance.  However, after I did leave there I didn't =
find pianos tuned like he tuned them!  Twelve years later I realized his =
statement was not arrogance but rather a confidently truthful statement. =
 I set my goal then to do the kind of work Virgil did.  I won't claim to =
have achieved that goal, but at least I aimed high.
=20
dp
=20
David M. Porritt, RPT