Can you believe all you read?

justpianos@our.net.au justpianos@our.net.au
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:53:37 -0000

List,
I recently purchased CD set of 20 years of Journal. Very informative.
In Feb. 1979 I read, under Tuner-Technicians Forum, a question on bridle
straps(tapes, thus;
How do you measure the correct amount of slack for bridle straps, and what is
the best amount for good repetition?
The answer, by, I assume a respected Technician, Jack Krefting, went
something like this;
We do not adjust bridle straps for repetition...the function is simply to
keep the jack from slipping under the butt felt when the action is removed.

Can anybody tell me if this is technically correct. I have replaced many sets
of straps, and find this repair tedious.
Could I have simply replaced the complet set with a wooden, metal or wire
rail running under the whippens, and why have manufacturers not done this in
the intervening years?

Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner.