436/435 piano

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:08:38 -0800

At 03:01 AM 11/19/2005, <newdaymoore@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I have found that the 1890 Sohmer piano is an a436 piano.  What does
>that mean?  Does that mean that the middle C on an a436 doesn't
>sound the same in pitch as the middle C on an a440 piano when both
>pianos are properly turned?

>Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:50:37 -0500
>From: <newdaymoore@bellsouth.net>
>To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Subject: I meant a435 not a436
>

>Inside the piano has written a435

For all practical purposes it means nothing. A=435 was - around the
turn of the 20th century - being touted as "International Concert
Pitch" in an attempt to standardize pitch (which was all over the map
at the time, depending on locality or even a particular musical
establishment). Piano manufacturers participated in the effort by
recommending this pitch for tuning their pianos. You'll find some
Chickerings from that era that also have A=435 stamped on or even
cast into their plates. Means nothing - pianos had to be capable of
being tuned to whatever pitch was in use where they were being
played, and that could have been as high as A=450+ according to
evidence found (like tuning forks).

As far as at what pitch they sounded their "best" - that's totally
subjective... I doubt that the methods of piano scale design of that
era could so precisely pinpoint optimum string tension...

Israel Stein