Chucky Cheese

William Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:12:18 -0500

At 6:29 AM -0600 11/18/05,  David Porritt wrote:
>I'm probably the last one in the world to discover this, but it worked!

My particular version of this is that the veneer is not set on its
side so that what meets the pin is side-grain. My veneer (1/8" maple,
not 1/28") is crosscut into strips the width of my favorite file
(maybe 3/16"). Instead of cutting a kerf with a hacksaw lade (as
pictured, right?), I cut a channel with the side of my file, bearing
as you do against a BR pin to properly locate the edge of the shim.
What my maple strips present to the BR pin is end-grain, which is a
much more durable grain orientation.

I consider this the functional equivalent of new BR holes in fresh inlaid wood.

Mr. Bill