Upright soft pedal

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:52:52 -0700

Wayne Walker wrote:

> Upright soft pedal
> I had a customer complained that the left (soft) pedal did not work. I
> tried to explain the function of the pedal. When I told them they
> would not hear any difference in volume they thought it was odd the
> piano companies would put on a pedal that didn't do anything. You show
> the customer the hammers are moving closer to the string to proved
> that the pedal is doing something but sometime this is not enough. I'm
> interested to hear what the members of the list tell their customers.
>
> Wayne Walker

    I show them how it puts the hammers closer to the strings, thus
introducing lots of lost motion.  I tell them that this doesn't really
make it softer, but it takes away a lot of their power, making it
"easier" to play soft.  Then I might explain what a "real" soft pedal on
a grand piano does, and that it's impractical to have the same system in
a vertical piano.  --David Nereson, RPT