Upright soft pedal

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:49:47 -0800 (PST)

My reply is that the soft pedal on an upright is of little or no value dynamically, but is there to train the left foot of the pianist so that when they perform on a grand they have acquired the skill to use a "true" soft pedal.  Particularly on verticals where there is no "lost motion compensator" (almost ALL of 'em), in my mind the use of this pedal actually hinders control over dynamics via loss of control of the action thru excessive lost motion.  Still, the left foot does get trained...
Mark Potter

Wayne Walker <wayne.w@musicstop.com> wrote:

Upright soft pedal
I had a customer complained that the left (soft) pedal did not work. I tried to explain the function of the pedal. When I told them they would not hear any difference in volume they thought it was odd the piano companies would put on a pedal that didn't do anything. You show the customer the hammers are moving closer to the string to proved that the pedal is doing something but sometime this is not enough. I'm interested to hear what the members of the list tell their customers.

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner & Technician
MUSICSTOP LTD
1005 Dow Rd, New Minas, NS