shank strike weights

William Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:17:47 -0500

At 9:46 PM +0100 11/11/05, Ric Brekne wrote:
>Just finished setting up an action today for hammer replacement.
>Yamaha C6. .......  I always check shank strike weights now and this
>job illustrates nicely why its a good idea.

Now who would have thought of something like that.......?

>I have a feeling Touchweight Design would far more widespread then
>it is now had it just been public domain.

We'd have a better idea of how widespread it was if all of the techs
using the vast majority of David's metrology which is in the public
domain, acknowledged how central to their action set-ups SWs, BWs,
FWs and (lest I forget) shank weights are. It is widespread because
it's in the public domain. Because it's in the public domain, techs
are under no obligation to acknowledge it. To quote the great jazz
bassist Charles Mingus, "If Bird were a gunslinger, there'd be a
whole lot less Robbins".

16-18 years ago, David broke into entirely new territory in the
business of action set-up: the measurement of action levers and
leverage not by distance, but by weight (yes, admittedly weight, not
mass). Within a few short years, action set-up was reduced to an
algebraic formula. Initially there was tremendous resistance, mainly
from those who didn't take the time to actually study his approach,
and admittedly from those a little nervous about drilling holes in
rep bodies or about the value of flange friction adjust screws.

But in the ten years I've been on PTx, I've seen the language of his
metrology creep into the discussion of action set-up in a way that
confirms for me the enduring soundness of his metrology.
Unfortunately, the only likely compensation for the many years of
development of this metrology, now in the public domain, is public
acknowledgement.

Rick, you are to be congratulated for your development of the
magnetically balanced reps (in which both magnets are mounted on
moving levers and in which the magnet force changes throughout the
stroke). You are also to be commend for placing that design in the
public domain. I'm unaware of any great flurry of peer discussion and
further development, subsequent to its entry into PD via your PTJ
article. I'm certain you can understand that PD does not make or
break technological innovations in this business.

Again, those of us who take advantage of David's metrology should be
grateful for his contribution to piano work, the notion that action
set-up is properly a weight measurement, not a distance one.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"You'll make more money selling my advice than following it"
     ...........Steve Forbes, quoting his father, Malcom