shank strike weights

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:53:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ric, List,

>Hasnt been much basic Stanwood discussion for a
while.

Well, actually, I just thought of something
interesting to report:

I was very lucky to attend a concert by Krystian
Zimerman last week.  I am very partial to pianists who
have a great touch, and after hearing him, I would say
he is one of the best nowadays.

First, he played a Mozart piece, and from looking at
his fingers I had the feeling that the action was
incredibly light.  The piano was perfectly voiced,
although not as loud as one would expect from a S&S D
(German).  I was in the second row, very close to the
stage.

I noticed a hook/lever under the keybed.  If I didn't
know any better, I would think it's there to tie the
piano down to the stage so it doesn't leave.  After
the Mozart, he played Ravel but before doing so he
reached under to adjust something with that
hook/lever.

I later found out from someone who played the piano
that the action was incredibly light.  I also learned
that Mr. Zimerman loves to modify/design actions and
that this particular action is his own.

Does anyone on the list have any further information
about what he does to modify his action?  I know that
the Europeans have a firm deadline for getting rid of
all lead from their products, so I would think that
there must be a lot of work going on with magnetic
assist, helper springs, etc.

Anyone with information, please report!

Vladan

http://mail.yahoo.com