Hairline cracks in Treble Bridge

newdaymoore@bellsouth.net newdaymoore@bellsouth.net
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:48:45 -0500

I have an 1890 Sohmer Upright (55").  After having it tuned I started =
hearing an annoying vibrating sound out of the F Key above middle C.  My =
tuner came back out to investigate and found some hairline cracks in the =
upper part of the treble bridge.  He called a few people whom he trusts =
for bridge rebuilding.  His plan was to remove the half of the treble =
bridge with the cracks and send it off to be used as a model to rebuild =
a new one and put the new one in for me.  But everyone was booked well =
into next year. =20
So he found out about a gentleman who does Epoxy repair.  He himself has =
never done this type of repair with epoxy but after speaking with this =
man and watching his video he feels confident that he can repair the =
hairline cracks with epoxy.  I am wanting to know the pros and cons to =
doing such a repair.  Can you also tell me the pros and cons to removing =
the half of the treble bridge with the hairline cracks and sending it =
away to be used as a model to build a new half and putting in a new half =
bridge in instead.=20
I have recently put $523 worth of repairs into this piano.  I am =
wondering if I should even do the treble bridge repair and if so which =
way to go.  The tone in this piano sounds really great to me and my =
daughter.  I hear so many bad things about newer pianos not holding up =
well.  So could any of you advise me on this matter.  I am concerned =
about the epoxy method causing any problems with the tone and sound.  =
Plus will the pins be glued in?  Would that cause problems later on?
Thanks.