Agraff Torque

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:00:59 -0500

    After working 30 years in the automotive service industry and another 15
in pianos, and removing many, many broken bolts and studs, broken agraffes
are a piece of cake.  First, there is seldom corrosion around the threads.
Second, when the head of the agraffe breaks off, the threads are relieved of
any binding, and they are actually quite free in the plate.  Even if they're
broken off flush, the easiest way I've found to remove them is by using a
small sharp center punch or awl and a light hammer.  Carefully tap the brass
around at the top, unscrewing and slowly raising it above the plate where
needle nose pliers can grab it and turn it out the rest of the way.
    For stubborn agraffes, I use a 90 degree angle drill with a short bit
coming up from the bottom, or a left handed drill bit from the top with a
conventional drill as suggested.  The bit will grab the brass and spin it
out intact.  The watchwords are careful patience.
    Mike Kurta