shank strike weights

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:51:05 +0100

Hi Jon

I can see I am going to have to take a closer look at knuckle radius a lot closer. I still like the
basic idea of takeing care of weight first and dealing with ratio related issues when runing through
my BW checks at the end. That goes for fine tuning friction levels as well.

My initial thoughts go towards poping off rouge knuckles at that point and switching them as needed.
Poping and glueing knuckles is one of the easier tasks IMHO.

In fact... and better yet... why not take that 4-5 sets of shanks and not just weigh them for their
SW levels, but switch knuckles as needed to provide for as consistant as possible set ?... Could
even keep a couple extra sets of new knuckles handy that stay stocked as you set up each set of shanks

In anycase... thanks for bringing this point up... more food for thought.

Cheers
RicB

Jon Page writes

>/I'm thinking in the future of having 3 or 4 sets of shanks weighed and
/>/available when I change a of hammers.  That way I can make a near
/>/perfect match every time.
/
I thought of that too and really ran into a plethora of knuckle
heights five years ago.
Not only are sets not uniform but other sets have different averages.

One set may mic at .620" ave., another .650", and another .640".  It
seems to depend
on each knuckle set made and the consistency/degree to which they are
pressed in.

Jon Page