JIV-jumping into voicing

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:49:32 -0600

Brian,

Just returned from NCRC, where Chris Robinson gave one of the best voicing classes I have ever attended.  Another good one is Don Mannino's "Hands on Kawaii Voicing" which he co-teaches with one of Kawaii's concert techs.  Go to as many convention classes as you can.  Like most things piano, time and repetition (and a toobox full of disparate approaches) are essential to peeling away the many layers of this onion.

I'd also recommend, as a beginning overview, going to the renner usa site and reading Rick Baldassin's article on voicing the renner hammer.  Most of what he says is more or less applicable to any hammer hard enough to not rely on heavy lacqering.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Doepke
To: Pianotech
Sent: 11/12/2005 1:34:38 PM
Subject: JIV-jumping into voicing

Hello List,

I know that there is undoubtedly information in the archives regarding voicing hammer, and I plan on doing research there, but do you have any recommendations on voicing tools?  1 needle vs. More than 1 needle?  Brands?  Styles?  What about the adjustable voicing tool that saw advertised?  Is that a worthwhile investment?

Also, I am confused as to the location of where to needle the hammer ( I’ll check other sources as well).  I have heard a variety of locations ( side, slightly on top, never on top???).  I am open to knowledgeable and experienced replies ( aren’t we all?)

Brian P. Doepke

AAA PianoWorks
260-432-2043
260-417-1298