Piano Maintenance versus Piano Tooning

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:05:53 EST

List,

I use Andrew's method of maintenance as well.  IT's easier to sell  bits and
pieces of maintenance than to sell a 500 dollar job to a first time  client.
But after awhile, when they see that you are making huge  improvements in
their pianos, they trust what you say and are more likely to  have the suggested
service done.

On the other side of the tracks, there are people who can barely afford
pianos, but whose kids REALLY want to play (these are the people that tend  to
give the best tips...). I will usually give discounts, and do free pitch  raises
or other maintenance at a service call.

It's hard to lump all clients into one basket.  Some have more money  than
God, but buy a weasly little piano disc-laden pocket grand that they never  want
to have tuned.  Trying to talk some these people out of money--even  for just
a tuning--is like trying to talk a lion out of that dead zebra  he's chowing
down at the waterhole.

Dale, Dave, Barbara and others who have been in business for years have
built long-term trust with their clients.  Those of us who are newer to the
business need patience to develop these types of relationships.

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 11/13/2005 3:24:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,