JIV-jumping into voicing

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:28:34 EST

Bassooner
  I was there. Who are you? You didn't sign your  name.
  Very Good description of the way Aris  hammers work. Other hammers do not
nearly fit this profile though  & one size fits all voicing techniques as he
described for his are not  necessarily transferrable one brand of hammer to
another without some  exploration of there latent potential initially. Know what I
mean?
   IMO
  Dale Erwin

I had a  chance to speak with hammer & bass string craftsman Ari Issac
at the  San Francisco Chapter meeting this month.  The most impressive
things  he taught me was to listen to great piano recordings, even old
recordings,  and figure out what kind of tone you like and what you're
working  towards.  And dont be afraid to juice the shoulders.   He
explained hammers are like tennis balls- they collapse a bit on impact,
then spring back imparting a secondary force to the strings.  Felt  has
to be springy while resisting wear.  Juicing the shoulders can  serve to
reflect more of the impact back to the string.  The force is  controlled
by loosening fibers between the strike point and the core by  needling
from the side.  By the reason of the shoulders acting to  reflect the
spring force towards the srike point, the shoulders are not to  be
weakened by needling.
We heard him demonstrate this- the difference  was impressive.  There
was a range of opinions as to whether or not  the change was good, a
matter of taste.  The subject piano had a new  set of his hammers, and
had a very clear and complex overtone klang, when  compared with the
steinway sets beside it, which was mostly fundamental in  comparison.