Piano Maintenance versus Piano Tooning

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:22:22 EST

Andrew
  Great post,A superior attitude wins every time &  this aproach gives great
service. You're probably the only one worth it with  this kind of service
philosophy. JMHO
  Dale Erwin

I've  taken a different approach to this.  I charge a flat fee for a
period  of time with the piano.  I am  the most expensive technician
servicing my area.   During that time period I do as much as I can for
the piano.  With a  piano I am seeing for the first time, I may end up
only  pitch-correcting.  The second time around I may do a little
hammer  shaping and voicing where it is most desperately needed.  The
third  time around... etc.  On my service record I record everything
that  I've done and everything the piano needs that I notice.  When I
call  the second time they sometimes want more of it done and we
schedule a  longer appointment.  Basically the piano just keeps
getting better  the longer I service it.  I encourage clients to
consider a separate  appointment to get a totally un-prepped piano in
good regulation  etc.  Some will, some wait.  Don't try to be
cheap.  Make  sure you charge as much for your time doing everything
else a piano needs  as you charge for tuning.  It is no fun just
tuning or horrible piano  that is begging to be better.
I worked on a Wurly the other day that  I thought should be headed
to the landfill.  I was surprised with  what I got out of it.  Next
time it will be even better.
If you  give your clients the choice of doing less or nothing, most
will.   Set maintenance intervals, closer together where needed.  I
call it  maintenance and say that tuning is just one fraction of what
makes a piano  great.

My take on it.
Andrew Anderson