Tune & Run was JIV-jumping into voicing

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:15:06 EST

Barabara

  Barb,  well said & your highlighted line  below  is a beautiful opener.
   My Line is have you noticed how loud the piano is  or, is there anything
else about the piano that bothers you.? Frankly after a  while if a client
isn't interested in voicing so I don't loose my hearing, I  politely have been
know to say ,perhaps you should find some one else, but if I  get a chance to
demonstrate A--B comparisons by voicing on just one note.  This is usually all it
takes to change an opinion
   Geoff,  I'll tell you how it happened  for me & Others. One client at at
time.
   I decided about 25 years ago to become the  guy who could fix it,
voice,regulate it, &  trouble shoot  it better than any body in my area. I took Willis
Snyders advice to aim fro  the high end & the rewards of fun , client respect
,  appreciation & personal satisfaction are as great as the  financial
profit. This is waaaay more fun than just tune & run. I  also didn't have to jam in
the car all day or change location every 1 1/2 hours  & BTW , I Like tuning
   I believe in large part  I trained my  clienteles ears to hear &  by doing
 solid musical tuning & a  piano tone thru voicing. Believe me the average
person can hear & appreciate  a more musical tone. If not what do people buy
graphic equalizers for there  stereo systems?? Dunno
  BTW. Mechanical work should bring in as much as you  tuning rates.
   Dale Erwin

them.  I also learned the best way  to get folks to understand about more
than tuning was saying, "You know  those old upright pianos that sound like tin
and whose keys are uneven and  some don't even work?  Well, that can happen to
your piano,  too.  That's what happens when pianos have only been tuned  and
other maintenance has been ignored. etc, etc."   It was the best  thing I ever
thought of to get the conversation and understanding going about  what
regulation and voicing are.  We're the ones who have to educate our  clients.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria,  Illinois