JIV-jumping into voicing

Brian Doepke doepkeb@comcast.net
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:06:48 -0500

Thanks for all the input, and even the spin-off discussions.

I have found much information on my cd's of 20 years of the PTG Journal.
But, another question.when a needle, or group of 3 needles, is inserted into
the hammer felt, is there any additional moving of the needles; like a
slight rocking motion or wiggling motion?  Or, is the procedure to just
insert and pullout on the same trajectory?

Brian P. Doepke

AAA PianoWorks
260-432-2043
260-417-1298
  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 11:48 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: JIV-jumping into voicing

  Ric
  Good answer. I second this & add don't let fear stand in your way it's
really quite difficult to destroy a set of either kinds of hammers, well...
unless your just a blithering Dolt .
   That said the goal is for an improved tone even if , in your own ears,
it's not perfect. People/clients who really have ears to hear will except
any improvement as a pleasure in the right direction. Truth be told there
are sooo many lousy sounding pianos in the field because no one is asking
the questions you are or at least not bothering to stab a few needles etc to
risk for something possibly great!
 How I wish the bad habit of tune & run to the next tuning could be
remedied.
 It's not real customer service IMHO.
  I think I just changed the topic. Oh My!
  Dale Erwin

Hi Brian

The answer to your question is really a lot more involved then what a
simple reply from folks here can give you.  Much depends on what kind of
approach you are going to use, and what kind of hammer you have to work
with.  For example, the one needle vs three needle question often boils
down to either what phase of voicing you are in or whether or not you
are fine voicing lacquered hammers or not. How deep, where, and when to
needle depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and again on what
kind of hammer you are dealing with.  A hammer soaked in lacqure will
have no real benifit from deep shoulder needling as a general rule, but
a hammer that needs needling down requires such treatment.  A full
treatise is a bit beyond a one post answer.  My best advice is to read
through the archives and join your local ptg chapter, attend meetings
and find a voicing teacher who can help you get started.  And, as Phil
pointed out...  dont hesitate to try your hand after reading.  In the
end voicing is learned by doing more then anything else.

Cheers
RicB