[ some "oddly noisy" Baldwin 45"hamilton actions..........]

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:48:10 -0600

At 11:48 PM 11/10/2005, you wrote:
>Tom,
>
>You're probably right.  I dunno...Baldwin historians?  Where's Roger Jolly?
>
>I also had one Baldwin Studio of perhaps the same age that had the jacks
>back-thwacking the butts because of inadequate aftertouch.
>
>Dave S.

Hi Dave,
             From the description of the problem, it sounds very much like
the buck skin substitute material causing the noise.   We have changed
dozens of these.  The job takes about 4-5hrs
Rob Kidell wrote a step by step how to for the Journal a few years back.

There is no short cut fix, to my knowledge.   Escane Kits were available
from Baldwin all pieces are precut.   I prefer to use Hot Hide glue for re
installation of butt and catcher leather. Makes the job a little faster.  A
small shallow tray with warm water and wall paper remover to soak off the
catcher material will also make the job a lot easier.

Another area to check for clicks, is to check the damper lift spoons and
making sure they are clearing the damper lift rod.

Bridle tapes clicking on the wires have been another common source of noise.

These piano have a floating balance rail, If the screws are loose, it will
cause some funny noises, and unstable regulation.

Nose bolt's at the bottom of the action brackets should be checked for
security.

Hope this helps.

Regards Roger