[ some "oddly noisy" Baldwin 45"hamilton actions..........]

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:11:15 -0500

On Nov 11, 2005, at 12:41 AM, TOM DRISCOLL wrote:

>     Dave,
>     I thought the same until the gentleman said it was a 35 year
> old piano.
>     Corfam was introduced around 1980
>     Baldwin historians ----   am I correct here?
>     Tom Driscoll

Tom et al.,
Before the Corfam was another buckskin substitute, typically black
(like naugahyde, although I think I've seen some that's an off-white/
ecru) which seems to have been better than corfam but sometimes
exhibits similar problems. I had one I was working on last week;
while the stuff hadn't hardened horribly like Corfam,  hammers
checking was very erratic. Not very noisy though (as Corfam becomes).
As this was a "once-a-decade" tuning, and the pianist had no
complaints about the action, the problem remains (perhaps to be
corrected in 2015).
patrick Draine