Yamaha Jumping Jacks

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:24:37 +0100

Hi folks.

Just ran into a Yamaha C108 yesterday with several jumpy hamers.  All
were typical bobblers off a jack top at light play.  Most of them were
solved by simply taking a screw driver and inserting it into the upper
winds of the jack spring, compressing it fully for a few seconds.  Two
whippens were pulled after I found jacks too slowly returning after the
"treatment".  Centers were a bit tight so I changed them, and all is well.

Got to thinking a bit about this tho, and wondered about shimming the
bottom of the whippen flange as an alternative approach. That would
lessen the angle of the jack to hammer butt and I would think make it
easier for the butt to push the jack top away.  Shouldnt be a problem as
long as there is still enough of an angle for the jack to push the butt
forward with enough strength.  Would like to hear anyones thoughts on
the matter.

Cheers
RicB