Fwd: Re: Ozone generator questions for piano repair.

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner@verizon.net
Wed, 09 Nov 2005 23:33:58 -0500

  Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Ozone generator questions for piano repair.

  Gordon,
     You may want to check with a couple of FBGs (former Baldwin guys) =
about subjecting pianos to ozone generators. There's a heck of a story =
there, from about 12 years ago, with the end result being the loss of =
about 600 verts.=20

  Ozone is NOT recommended.

  Guy Nichols

    Guy,
        Actually, the end result was a bit more complex .
        I'm  happy to be corrected but from reliable sources this is the =
story as told to me.
        Baldwin placed an insurance claim on the pianos in question and  =
received compensation as was their right.
        Then the insurance company  took possesion and dumped the =
piano's to a local salvage -discount store chain  in the Massachusetts =
area called "Building 19"
        They were marketed as salvage piano's from a "Famous" maker,and =
sold essentially "as is"  @ a big discount.
        The  stickers inside were removed and covers were glued over the =
name plates but it soon became no secret that these were Baldwins and =
they flew out of the stores.
       =20
        End result was a merchandising nightmare for the local Baldwin =
dealer (Baldwin of Boston I believe) Why buy from them when the same =
piano 5 miles away was half price at Building 19?
        Perhaps other factors were also at hand , but this genius move =
by Baldwin did not endear the company to the dealers' heart and before =
long  they closed the doors.
        I was told that the pianos were wrapped when this accident =
happened and from the few I service they seem no better?  or worse that =
any other Baldwin from the same era.
        Again ,this is the story I heard from more than one source -.
        Tom Driscoll RPT.

       =20
      =20
       =20