Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch - Phase II

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:59:19 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_000B_01C5E570.73F39BD0
This post is a follow up to my post a couple days ago regarding gluing =
felt to treble hammer tips on an economy job because the treble hammers =
had been worn down to the wood core.

So now I have this set of 90-year-old hammers that look like Montana's =
buttes - it appears someone filed the grooves out previously, but filed =
a flat surface to the hammer top. Now keeping in mind this is a budget =
job - "please just make it work", I couldn't see hand filing 88 hammers =
to some idealistic shape.

Then I saw my belt sander.

Guess what I did? Yup, fire that sucker up and gang "file" both sides at =
about 10 and 2 o'clock until the flat top was only a couple millimeters =
wide. Then I took a coarse sandpaper paddle and rounded things off and =
followed up with shoe-shine sanding with 220 and then 320. I think it =
produced a reasonable strike surface. The rest of the hammer looks a bit =
funky, but I think I have produced a reasonble strike point. If you were =
to file the hammer so it had a nice egg shape, you'd end up filing way =
more felt off - I figure no reason to do that - action is pretty light =
as it is. I gang sanded about 10 hammers at a time (half a section) and =
did not worry about hammer angle. Again, on an old worn-out piano like =
this, and the desire to be economical with our work, it seems to me this =
might just be a good approach to "please, just make things work".

Fire away!

Terry Farrell

------=_NextPart_001_000B_01C5E570.73F39BD0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...