Bone/Ivory keytop replacement source

SooperTooner@aol.com SooperTooner@aol.com
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 06:37:45 EST

I have a good customer with an S&S "D". It's an older instrument with  ivory.
The key tops in the center section (10-12 keys) are shot and need  attention.
She WILL NOT consider plastic. Trust me, I've tried. My  questions:

1. Who repairs ivory and will replace only those necessary? She doesn't  need
a complete recovering. I have a good stock of used ivory, but the heads on
this piano are longer than what I have so it might be necessary to cut some
"legal" ivory to fit.

2. Is anyone recovering in bone these days? I can't seem to find anybody.
There used to be a guy in Virginia (I think) but that was probably 10 years  ago.

Just as a reminder: she WILL NOT consider plastic so responses to my query
suggesting same aren't necessary.

Thank you.

Donn Young, RPT
On the web at: