Weirdest thought ... was Re: Hammer Rebuilding - In a pinch

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:56:33 -0600

Okay, while we're at it (sorta thinking, sorta), what if the toupee was first glued to a thin slat of wood, like upright dampers, then glued to the squared off hammer .... something else to be tried anyway, if more oompf is required. Or you can soak the whole assembly in "Liquid Oompf" (Available from me at $57 an ounce -- it just looks and smells like lacquer, honest (?).

While writing this last paragraph, I had the weirdest thought (hence the subject line change) ....

Has anyone ever tried a little of our super-thin CA as a hammer hardening agent? It might work wonders (or not) but it would be irreversible ... big drawback.

Okay, that wasn't the absolute weirdest thought I ever had, but at least this one didn't involve strawberry Jello, Saran Wrap, live fish, bubble gum, moose antlers, weasel bladders, schizophrenic chickens, and Swedish lady wrestlers.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 11/07/2005 5:15:09 PM
Subject: Re: Hammer Rebuilding - In a pinch

Terry "the Farrell" said: "
It looks like it will work. Don't know what it will sound like. Gotta be =
better than wood.

Anyway, FWIW. Silly ideas from silly techs.

Terry,
Quite ingenious!!! If the sound is not up to a reasonable thing, then, perhaps, stretch/cover them puppies with thin buckskin.<G> It worked o.k. on Squares!<G> I'd like to know about the sound. Keep us posted.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I