Yamaha Key Bushing Replacement

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:29:56 -0600

On Nov 7, 2005, at 9:08 AM, Farrell wrote:

> What about lubrication on the cloth bushing material to minimize
> friction and increase longevity?

What I have been doing for 25 years is to polish the keypins
(currently with Flitz) and then spray the keypins (not the bushings!)
with McLube while the keys are still off the keyframe. This can
lengthen the life of the bushings considerably.

Much the same benefit, though much less longlasting, can be had by
applying Protek center pin cleaner/lubricant to the keybushings,
applied while the keys are still on the keyframe.

Kent

PS -- I've recently heard opinions against using McLube on keypins,
but it sure seems to work for me.

KES