First Tuning on a Square Grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:57:36 -0800

Terry,
You are correct, if you are talking about a one time tuning in ?? years. However, if the client wishes to have the piano in good tune and is willing to do it within reasonable intervals, the Square Grand is quite tuneable, even to the point of tuning it in very nice Historical Temperaments.<G> (They do sound better with such.) The instruments you describe are sad, (to me), that they are in such deplorable condition and the owners think of it only as piece of furniture that makes 'piano-like" sounds. Some of this is "our" fault. Most technicians cast such a doom/gloom picture of them, it's deplorable! Instead, the customer should be informed as to the original intent of the "Sound" of the Square Grand: It is/was intended to sound like the "ancient instruments", (my supposition), i.e. "Grandma's Piano". The demand for such a sound was simply a matter of Supply/Demand. When the "demand" waned, manufacturers stopped making them. Such is the case for the "Bird-Cage", (Overdamper), uprights, as well. The "demand" lasted well into the 1930's, in England! In Germany, it was very short lifed, (10-20 years).
I like to tell my Square Grand Clients that when their piano is in proper condition/tune, they will be hearing music as it was in the 18th and early 19th centuries. This one statement seems to motivate the Client to take care of it more. (At least in my experience.<G>) My main impetus is, really, to get technicians to quit bad mouthing the instrument, although I know that my efforts are more a waste of time than anything else. Sad!
As for your technique of tuning, I have absolutely not problem with it, except that the length of the tuning lever, requires an unreal level of tuning technique in order to accomplish "fine tuning". Reason being is simply that the lever is waaaay too long and it is virtually impossible to achieve the fine movement required, on the tuning pin, to get real accuracy.
I have said that: If a person is between 5'8" to 6'2", then they have the physical ability to tune Square Grands, without "Killing" their back(s). That is a physical fact. However, there are "tricks" to be able to accomplish this. I've learned them, over the years and am able to tune two of them puppies, in one day, and still go out an boogie at night.<G>
The process is a very "specialized" part of being a piano tuner and, IMO, should not be done by beginners, etc., unless they have good supervision. I encourage any technician to learn the proper ways! (I have given classes on the subject, but the class size was very small, because of all of the "negativity" that persists from the "olde guard" towards the new techs.)
Finally, the physical movements are mirror image of those that we would do on a standard grand. One must think and move in a totally opposite way, in order to be good at this. Some minds, tend not to be able to understand this.<G> (hence poor quality tunings, IMO.) Also, because of this "mirror image" body movement, we are working muscles in ways that we normally don't do....hence the "back problems". <G>
BTW, your Tuning Hammer is, IMO, very ingenious!<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I