First Tuning of a Square Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 08:16:55 -0500

Hi Joe,

I shouldn't think I need to explain my statements in detail, but here =
goes. Much of my previous post was with tongue-in-cheek.

Most square grands are about 130 years old. Many are in original =
condition (all that I have run across) - metal has rusted, felt has =
hardened and been bug-eaten, glue joints are failing, wooden parts have =
warped, etc. - you know, the things that happen to all pianos after 130 =
years. Now if you can "fine" tune a piano like that, I most certainly =
tip my hat to you - however, the quality and clarity of tuning that I =
can put on any piano that old and worn is a far cry from the tuning that =
I can put on a new Kawai grand piano, for example. So I simply state =
that you can't really "fine" tune a square. You can tune them. I tune =
them. I rather enjoy tuning them because I charge lots of $$ to tune =
them. Most techs in my area refuse to tune them.

So what is correctly? Bending over the instrument and getting a =
backache? I have a broken vertebrae and simply cannot do it that way. =
Have you not been in this business long enough to realize that there is =
often more than one way to accomplish a task? Maybe after you've done =
piano work a while you will learn this. Maybe bending works well for =
you. Great.

My square grand tunings lasting 10 or 20 years is not a claim of =
technical fact, but rather a poke at many/most square grand owners who =
choose to only tune them that often. I have no doubt that after the =
typical 300-cent pitch raise and "fine" tuning, the piano sounds =
noticeably worst a week later.

I like square grands. Most, even with all their deterioration have a =
very warm tone. I would like most of them more if they weren't so =
deteriorated.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Terry "The Farrell" said, "=20
  It'll "fine" tune any square grand as much as any square grand can be =
=3D
  finely tuned. Besides, fine tuning a square grand is an oxymoron - =
kinda =3D
  like military intelligence - the two entities are mutually exclusive.

  And besides, I can sit at the keyboard to tune and I can stand =
straight =3D
  upright and walk afterwards! And not only that, the tunings I put on =
=3D
  squares with my rig last 10, 20 years - maybe longer!

  Terry,
  Why do you persist is such idiosy? Sheesh! If ya can't do it =
correctly, then leave it for someone who can! End of rant.<G>=20

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I