Sharps knocking puzzler

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:19:12 -0800

Some sort of stop felt on the cheekblocks was removed during refinishin=
g and the fallboard was now closer to the sharps?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Mike Kurta"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Sharps knocking puzzler

    Here's one that took me 1 hour to figure out:
    Older upright (name not important).  Keys and action removed for re=
pairs, cabinet sent to refinisher.  Piano returned home, I return to re=
assemble and tune.  Everything fine until I play and find that the inne=
r ends of all the sharps hit the front of the open fallboard upon relea=
se.  Keyframe was not removed, same sharps refinished only.  I'm about =
to file the inner ends of all the sharps to make clearance until I fina=
lly see the light!  It took two minutes to correct them all.  What did =
I do?