Sharps knocking puzzler

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:41:13 -0400

I would think the cheekblocks, had been mounted wrong, which brought the fallboard forward?

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Kurta
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2005 8:56 PM
  Subject: Sharps knocking puzzler

      Here's one that took me 1 hour to figure out:
      Older upright (name not important).  Keys and action removed for repairs, cabinet sent to refinisher.  Piano returned home, I return to reassemble and tune.  Everything fine until I play and find that the inner ends of all the sharps hit the front of the open fallboard upon release.  Keyframe was not removed, same sharps refinished only.  I'm about to file the inner ends of all the sharps to make clearance until I finally see the light!  It took two minutes to correct them all.  What did I do?