Call of the week

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 05:56:37 -0500

> Last week it was a piano that had flowers on it for 20 years (treble=20
> keys sticking, layer of earth found in keybed.)

Had soil horizons developed yet? Yikes!

> Tonite I went to a 70's drop action Wurlitzer someone got for free. =20

There's your first big tip-off. I often tell piano folks that free =
pianos are a lot like a free puppy - before you even get it home you =
have a $500 vet bill.

> A0=20
> not working, key stuck down- opened bottom board to find A0 had no=20
> sticker or wippen- totally gone (I propped it up with cardboard=20
> punchings).  Later on I noticed some bass notes were real sticky, and=20
> noisy in the front pin area.  Lifted up a key to find what looked like =

> glue between the keys.  Tried to scrape it off, then noticed there was =

> more on the keytops.
> I checked under the keys, and there was a puddle of 10+ year old =
vomit,=20
> moldy and petrified, and a few petrified felt punchings.  It was=20
> definitely an "after-party" piano.

Help - Thump!!!!!

> I informed the owner I had removed a small portion of the food, but =
the=20
> remainder would have to be chiseled and planed out another day.

You forgot........ by someone else!

What is it with some pianos? Impressive tale.

Terry Farrell